Interview with Sonya from Fashion Fragile!

Sonya from Fashion Fragile

Recently I had the wonderful chance of being able to interview Sonya from the personal style blog Fashion Fragile! Her wit and vibrance echo through her words and daily outfit posts. I am very impressed by her commitment to blogging everyday, as well as her strong voice. While I love seeing what she is wearing on a day to day basis, I also love hearing what she has to say about everything from her cute bunnies to sustainable clothing shops. Thank you again for answering my questions, Sonya!


What inspired you to start a personal style blog?
I encountered The Clothes Horse via her Tumblr and was fascinated. Then I started reading a bunch of other fashion blogs, and I was like, "Hey, I could do this!" At the time I was in a pretty bad place in terms of mental health: struggling with depression and feeling unmotivated at school. Blogging was something that actually made me feel good about myself. It helped that the community was so positive and friendly. Blogging is still one of my primary self care activities!

What’s it like being a caretaker for cute rabbits?
It's both funny and frustrating! Rabbits are kinda goofy creatures. They like to eat and dig and hide. The hardest part has been getting them to get over their dominance issues and coexist peacefully.

What kind of advice would you give to someone who wants to be more eco-friendly?
Just the standard stuff, I guess. Don't use disposable water bottles or leave the tap running. Do compost (if you can), pick up litter when you see it, and buy local/organic/artisan/etc goods when possible. Bring your own bags to the grocery store. The little things add up!



I’m impressed by the frequency of your posts! Do you have a routine that you follow that helps you to keep this up?
I wish it were something as organized and grownup as that! Actually, the reason is that I only work 15-ish hours per week, and I work from home, so I have plenty of time and energy for my personal projects. I'm really lucky that my parents are willing and able to support me while I get my life together.

Do you feel like your style has changed and evolved over the course of running your blog?
It's gotten a little less sweet and a little more, I dunno, normal? At the moment I'm hoping to experiment with a more minimalist aesthetic. We shall see. . .

What are some of your favorite books/authors?
Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita is one of my all-time favorite books. I have an enduring love of Tamora Pierce. This question is always hard because there are too many answers!

What would you say to someone who is trying to find their own personal style?
Wear stuff that you like; don't save outfits for special occasions. Experiment as much as possible, and give yourself permission to "fail", or at least to be ridiculous.



You frequently post on all kinds of social media websites. I secretly want to know how you are able to keep up with them all!
I actually do have a social media routine, at least for blog promotion: 1) Pin a couple of the photos to Pinterest with brief descriptions. 2) Get a shortened link using goo.gl, come up with a teaser for the post, e.g. "talking about lemonade and trust issues", pick a few salient hashtags, and then copy-paste that to Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus (with a picture each time). 3) Adjust the copy-paste message for Tumblr, and schedule the picture to post at 8:30pm. That takes me 5 minutes, maximum. It's better if I do it at night, because more people are online then, at least in my demographic.
Besides that, I post stuff throughout the day at whim. I have the Pinterest and Google Plus extensions installed on my browser, so I can update those networks whenever I encounter something interesting. I browse Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr occasionally, but there's no organization to it. Honestly, the secret is lots of free time.

Favorite quote?
Taylor Swift's brilliant description of true affection: "I love you like I love sparkles and having the last word. And that's real love."



Are there any films that inspire your style?
Sometimes, but nothing specific or enduring. I posted about The Lady Eve somewhat recently.

How long have you been knitting? What is your favorite thing to knit?
For ages, since kindergarten! I like to knit scarves, because they're super easy to make and embellish. Lately I've gotten into cowls. Eventually I'll learn how to knit a sweater!

What do you hope for when it comes to Fashion Fragile’s future?
I want Fashion Fragile to grow up to be something akin to Messages on a Napkin. If I could make money by promoting Etsy shops and other ethical/sustainable retailers, that would be SO AWESOME. It's kind of a long shot, though.

Your favorite hot drink?
Tea! Lots of kinds. Sometimes with whipped cream on top.

Your favorite cold drink?
Milk? I'm way more of a hot drink person.

Your favorite not-a-drink?
Cookies! I make at least one batch of ~healthy~ cookies per week, and my dad and I demolish them.

What are some of your favorite outfits that you have posted so far?

Comments

  1. Ahh, I knew this was coming, but it was still such a pleasant surprise! Thanks for interviewing me Danielle <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I am glad that you participated! :D

      Delete
  2. I will definitely go check out her blog! I love her sense of style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your digital presence! Feel free to comment if you wish. I enjoy them greatly upon reception. :)

Popular Posts