Advanced Drawing: Project #1

It was a very busy weekend, what with all of the homework and projects that I had to finish, as well as my daughter's 3rd birthday party. I never realized how exhausting just a few hours at Chuck E. Cheese could be. I was so distracted by the whirlwind of guests and organizing everything that I didn't take any pictures. A lot of my other family members did, and when I get some pictures I will post them when I can!

Since I am doing a lot of other things at the moment, I figured it would be a good time to share the first project that I had to do for Advanced Drawing class. The assignment was introduced with some pretty interesting instructions, which sounded confusing at first but was easy once I actually started to do it!

So, the first step was to take the first letter of my first name and type it into Google search. Then, I had to scroll down to the very bottom of the (first or third?) page and look at the last header. Of the words in that header, I had to pick one. Then I had to repeat this process for the first letter of my middle name, and my last name. The words I ended up with were demoiselle, word, and measurement!

After acquiring those three words, I had to enter those into Google search and then go to the Images section. From there, I would go to the 3rd page, pick a picture, then go to the 5th page, and pick a picture, and so on, and so on. The minimum amount of pictures we were to collect was 5, and here is a picture displaying what I ended up with.

After assembling all of our photos, we had to come up with a series of thumbnails displaying different ideas we had for a composition. From these thumbnails, we then had to construct a rough of what we wanted to do for the final draft. This is where we would work out any kinks or issues that came up. After the rough, we essentially had to do a miniature version of the final piece, but it didn't have to be severely detailed. This was done to work out even further what issues we were potentially having.

Lastly, we were to begin working on the Final piece, which was on a separate sheet of illustration board. To do mine, I first drew the basic outline of one half of the drawing. Then, because I desired symmetry, I used tracing paper and went over that entire half of the drawing, then flipped the tracing paper over and used a sheet of charcoal paper to transfer it over to the other side. This was the easy part! After that, all I had left to do was fill in the outline with graphite. I used mostly 2H, HB, and 2B graphite pencil, with 4B and 6B as I needed it.

The final piece!
Detail shot of the sky, hand, and horn face area. 
Detail shot of the part in the center.
I am really happy with how it turned out. Out of all the drawings that I have completed so far this semester, I am the most satisfied with this one. I am currently working on the third project for class which is due tomorrow! I am going to share more of my drawings soon, so stay tuned. !!! OwO !!!


  1. Wow, you should be happy with this! I really like the process and the idea behind the project, your professor must be pretty awesome to come up with that conecpt. The picture is stunning at first glance
    But I love all of the tiny details, the more I look the more I notice. (i also really love anything in pencil, its my favorite medium.).

    1. Thank you so much! Yeah my teacher always comes up with elaborate assignments, but they make sense once you reach the end of the project. I love working with graphite! It can get kind of messy but it has a lot of versatility and works great with a lot of other mediums. :)

  2. This is SO COOL. I wish I had the patience for fine art. . . I'm more of a slap-dash craftsy perosn, haha


Post a Comment

Thank you for your digital presence! Feel free to comment if you wish. I enjoy them greatly upon reception. :)

Popular Posts